Senior Product Development Engineer
Company: RAI Innovations Company
Location: Winston Salem
Posted on: October 9, 2018
Reynolds American Incorporated is positively transforming the tobacco industry. Were a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At RAI, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each others growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
At the RAI companies youll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionary products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people every day.
This position is within RJ Reynolds Vapor Company--manufacturer of VUSE e-cigarettes.
This position will work on the development of vapor products, also known as e-cigarettes. Vapor products are electro-mechanical consumer devices that produce vapor from e-liquids. Design of vapor products require integrated systems engineering from a team of multiple engineering disciplines (electrical, mechanical, software, chemical, and materials engineering). Product Development Engineers work with a team in the understanding of current products and development of future products. RAII is a leader in this category of products.
Vapor products are regulated by the FDA since August 2016. This position will work with RAIs Scientific and Regulatory Affairs group to develop necessary documentation and reporting required by regulation.
This position will report to a Director in Innovations Product Development and will work with others on this team to drive continuous improvement in current products and in designing and developing new products.
Accountabilities/Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for technical assignments that further develop engineering skills.
- Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using good judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications.
- Refine Marketing and R&D concepts and utilize innovative engineering techniques to develop product solutions that will translate these concepts into commercial manufacturing reality.
- Lead product development activities including concept development, feasibility analysis, scope definition, cost estimating, specification and drawing development, prototype evaluation, product risk/hazard review, vendor evaluation, resource allocation, development of manufacturing options, transition and commercialization testing, and implementation.
- Lead assignments that have clear and specified objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables. Assistance will be provided on unusual problems from senior technical staff and work will be reviewed for application of sound professional judgment.
- May lead or coordinate the work of others.
- Identify and develop expertise in new technologies that can be utilized internally for development of innovative new products or packaging to the marketplace.
- Identify and partner with external suppliers, vendors, and engineering service providers to develop new product and packaging solutions.
- Provide technical product support during the start-up and qualification of new equipment, processes, vendors, and suppliers.
- Drive continuous process improvement through the ability to recognize unnecessary complexities and process gaps, and proactively drive implementation of strategies to execute effective solutions.Job Requirements:
Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) school in a relevant discipline (Chemical, Electrical, Materials, Mechanical, or other disciplines may be accepted based on experience).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn application specific software for Product Data Management (PDM)
- Excellent project management, time management, team collaboration, and organizational skills
- Ability to engage with stakeholders and external partners
- Ability to actively participate in a Team-based environment and collaboratively work in cross functional teams
- Ability to quickly develop credibility and begin influencing within an organization
- Ability to work and thrive in an environment of uncertainty, ability to quickly adapt to change
- Excellent people and communication skills
- Ability to travel internationallyRelevant Experience and Preferred Skills:
- SolidWorks or other CAD experience
- Risk Management/Hazards Assessment tools, FMEA, FMECA, HACCP, Validation, or other assessment tools/methods
- Quality Systems, statistical methods for data analysis
- Prior consumer product development or manufacturing experience
- Work in a FDA regulated environment (food, drug, medical device, tobacco)
- Relevant experience may include;
- Electrical circuit and component design, analysis, and evaluation
- Lithium-ion batteries
- Design of injected molded plastic parts
- Die cut and machined small metal parts
- Small device assembly
- ManufacturingThe Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Ability to work and make decisions with minimal supervision
- Ability to develop and drive key strategies
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills of dependability and credibility
- Effectively communicate with peers and management
- Broad engineering expertise to design and commercialize complex electro-mechanical consumer products
- Ability to drive collaborative efforts cross-functionally Compensation/Targeted Bonus
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.Benefit Summary
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
- Confidential personal financial counseling service
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
- Health-care advocacy service
- Volunteer service opportunities
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Extensive training opportunities ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c., and the U.S. parent company of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; American Snuff Company, LLC; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB;R. J. Reynolds Vapor Company; Lorillard Licensing Company, LLC; and Reynolds Brands, Inc..
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company's potential for successfully achieving its business objectives.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly.
Associated topics: adapter, bsee, diagram, dsp, msee, rf, signal processing, stationary engineer, transmission, wind
Keywords: RAI Innovations Company, Winston-Salem , Senior Product Development Engineer, Engineering , Winston Salem, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!