Project Manager - Ground Source Geothermal Systems
Company: CDM Smith
Location: Winston Salem
Posted on: November 19, 2023
CDM Smith has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager focused
on the siting, design, and construction of networked geothermal
heating and cooling systems at the district scale. This position
can be based at any of our Industrial office locations. This
- Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent
evaluation, selection, and application of standard engineering or
construction techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Coordinates with and provides guidance to drafters/designers,
engineers, craft workers, other project team members,
subconsultants, contractors or subcontractors.
- Develops and implements project resource plans and manages the
staffing of assigned projects.
- Determines and coordinates the proper staffing within the project
including identification of outside resources needed (subs/vendors)
and ensures procurement processes are followed.
- Clearly communicates project deadlines, assignments and
objectives to project team members.
- Assigns work and provides direction to project staff with regard
to timeliness and completion of project objectives.
- Coaches project staff and provides feedback to staff and to
project staff's supervisors on project performance; escalates any
performance issues to appropriate management and human
- Builds, maintains and manages strong client relationships.
- Ensures client satisfaction by delivering quality, on-time
project outcomes as a result of good planning and organizational
skills; manages client expectations.
- Creates project definitions, schedules, budgets and objectives
for projects using lessons learned.
- Prepares detailed statements of work with associated work
breakdown structures and gains concurrence and approval from
internal and external stakeholders regarding various project
- Assesses potential project risk and outlines risk mitigation
- Ensures adherence to company and project management policies,
procedures, and practices.
- Manages project costs and is responsible for ensuring
- Identifies, quantifies, and communicates residual risk (time and
- Creates and reviews timely client billings with internal billing
- Ensures timely client payment and follows up on outstanding
client invoices to obtain payment.
- Reviews and approves subcontractor/vendor invoices to ensure
timely payment to outside resources.
- Performs ongoing review of project status.
- On an ongoing basis, monitors project risks; identifies possible
risks and recommends and implements risk mitigation solutions;
escalates as appropriate.
- Manages project change using change management protocols;
determines appropriate changes or alternate paths based upon
performance and metrics.
- Works in conjunction with team members and internal and external
stakeholders to manage changes to requirements and schedule of the
- Ensures proper review of project scope by safety managers and
proper implementation of safety plans.
- Provides timely response to audit corrective actions identified
by external or internal audits.
- Identifies opportunities for change orders and repeat business
though pre-eminent project execution and developed client
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Project Manager - Ground Source Geothermal Systems
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 7 years of related experience.
- PMP (PMI), CCM or DBIA certification is required (within 12
months of hire or promotion onto the Approved Project Manager
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The
frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties,
responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position,
which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
Equivalent additional directly related experience will be
considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience in Geothermal Facility Assessment & Energy Analysis,
Vertical Bore field Design, Horizontal Bore field Design,
Geothermal Site Planning, Geothermal Bore field Operational
Analysis, Infrastructure Master Planning and Life-Cycle Cost
- Experience with district heating/cooling and a strong desire to
focus on geothermal engineering will be considered in lieu of
direct geothermal experience.
- Ability to lead teams to create engineering designs including
geothermal systems master planning & studies primarily for closed
loop systems; conceptual and basis of design technical documents;
analyzes horizontal and vertical geothermal bore field systems;
creates detailed design of district-scale geothermal heating and
cooling systems for sustainability/energy efficiency/renewable
energy/green buildings focused projects.
- Licensed as Professional Engineer strongly preferred.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Civil Engineering or related
degree from an ABET accredited program.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their
efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and
progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that
span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with
projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as
diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy and pregnancy-related
conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
age, marital status, disability, citizenship status, genetics,
protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by
**Why CDM Smith?:**
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
**Join Us! CDM Smith where amazing career journeys unfold.**
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee
experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you.
Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where
your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are
encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools
and resources to do so. Where its a priority that the company takes
good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of
choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and
inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership,
career growth and development for every employee. We value
passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class
solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and
together we will make a difference and change the world.
**Job Site Location:**
United States - Nationwide
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from
the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for
your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member
of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All
unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to
any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will
be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held
liable to pay a placement fee.
**Amount of Travel Required:**
**Visa Sponsorship Available:**
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for
**Skills and Abilities:**
Experience working with project management methodology including
budget development, project planning, control and assurance
methodologies, project management software and finance and
accounting concepts and practices. Demonstrates good communications
skills, both verbal and written. Possesses in-depth knowledge of
project goals, drivers, strategies, risks and opportunities. Work
requires verbal skills, ability to interact with varying levels of
staff, as well as vendors. Good interpersonal and presentation
skills for interacting with team members and clients. Ability to
deal with many people and process a large volume of requests as
necessary. Good personal computer skills including advanced
knowledge in the use of MS Word and Excel. Demonstrates
organizational skills to balance and prioritize work.
**Background Check and Drug Testing Information:**
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter
collectively referred to as CDM Smith) reserves the right to
require background checks including criminal, employment,
education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when
applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may
conduct drug testing for designated positions. Background checks
are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the
United States. The timing of when background checks will be
conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States
will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the
background check precede an interview. CDM Smith will conduct
interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal
background check, and no job application submitted prior to such
interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If
this position is subject to a background check for any convictions
related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will
be contingent upon successful completion of a background
investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not
automatically disqualify a candidate. In addition, during
employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith
client to successfully complete additional background checks,
including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.
All bonuses at CDM Smith are discretionary and may or may not apply
to this position.
**Work Location Options:**
Fully Remote or Hybrid Work Options may be considered for
Keywords: CDM Smith, Winston-Salem , Project Manager - Ground Source Geothermal Systems, Executive , Winston Salem, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!