This is the second level of the Power Engineering Technologist
classification. The purpose of this position is to provide an
intermediate level of experienced technical expertise to accurately
evaluate complex options and provide power distribution facility
designs for residential and small to medium size commercial and
industrial projects in a safe, cost effective, and reliable manner.
Incumbents are expected to demonstrate an intermediate to high
level of experience with customer design and workflow
processes/procedures and technical skills in the client's specific
areas of expertise.
Local Candidates preferred
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: With limited direct
supervision and guidance, the incumbent is responsible for
performing the following duties: Ability to interpret codes,
standards, regulation, requirements, and guidelines. Also, maintain
records and files and update the appropriate company/client
- Apply client/company policies and procedures in the development
of moderately difficult to complex site designs for electrical
distribution facilities to serve a variety of customers.
- Create safe and cost effective designs for projects of a
moderate to difficult nature in the areas of overhead or
underground distribution projects across geographic areas such
commercial, industrial projects, extra facility projects, high
profile projects, highway relocation projects, and other projects
requiring the highest reliability per client/customer
specifications and procedures. Prepare project and job packages
that include material lists, requisitions, site drawings and
construction drawings for various installations of electrical
facilities in a cost-effective manner that maximizes safety and
- Coordinate with construction personnel and client/customer to
resolve jobsite issues related to project design or customer
- Create work requests using the current work management tool and
communicate effectively with client and /or end use customers on
schedules, commitments, project feasibility, timeframes and
- Properly apply client/company reliability principals for the
resolution of power quality issues, by evaluating loading of
various overhead/underground equipment components, and ensuring a
safe and cost-effective design and installation.
- Develop relationships with key internal and external customers
while supporting both company and client's business goals and
expectations while representing themselves both positively and
- Perform field work as required to validate customer and system
requirements. Assist with the training of other employees.
- Learn, practice and promote ALL safety policies and procedures
100% of the time.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
COMPLEXITY OF WORK: Moderately routine: general policies
applied. Some decision making.
RELATIONSHIP OUTSIDE WORK GROUP: Influences decisions of
moderate nature requiring high degree of tact.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
REGULAR ATTENDANCE is required.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Required High school degree or GED
and Associates degree
Note: In This situation, an Associate Degree or 4 year degree
may is required based upon client project or contractual
requirements. Preferred A Bachelor's degree from a four-year
college or University in non-engineering science, math or
REQUIRED Experience : 1-3 Year(s) Experience in utility power
distribution engineering or craft
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: N/A ON-THE-JOB
TRAINING: A combination of job shadowing, classroom and interaction
with more experienced employees as needed during first year in the
A. Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure
manuals, operational procedures, etc.
B. Ability to write reports, Business correspondence, and
C. Ability to effectively present information in one-on one and
small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees
of the organization.
1.Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to perform these operations using units of American money
and weight measurement, volume and distance.
2.Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages,
ratios and proportions to practical situations. Ability to compute
rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret spread
3.Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
A. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form .
B. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various
socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Self-motivated, savvy, reliable, trustworthy, as well as
- Demonstrated team player.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient user of personal computer, particularly Microsoft
Office based on applications.
- Ability to constructively manage multiple tasks. Possess valid
driver's license and vehicle suitable for business use (mileage
reimbursement may apply).
- Ability to participate in storm restoration activities as a
Driver, Wire-sitter, or Damage Assessor (DA only if qualified by
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are
representatives of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions
. A. How much on the job time is spent in the following physical
- Stand 1/3 to 2/3 (Frequently)
- Walk 1/3 to 2/3 (Frequently)
- Sit 1/3 to 2/3 (Frequently)
- Talk or Hear 2/3 and more (Regularly)
- Use Hand
s to Feel, Handle or finger tools or controls 2/3 and more
- Climb or balance Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Stoop, Kneel, Crouch or crawl Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Reach with Hands and Arms Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Taste or Smell None
B. Does this job require that weight be lifted or force to be
exerted? If so, how much and how often?
- Up to 10 Pounds 1/3 to 2/3
- Up to 25 Pounds Up to 1/3
- Up to 50 Pounds None
- Up to 100 Pounds None
- More than 100 Pounds None
C. Does this job have any special vision requirements?
Close Vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
Distance Vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
Color Vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
Peripheral visions (ability to observe an area that can be seen
up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a
Depth Perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge
distances and spatial relationships_
Ability to Adjust Focus (ability to adjust the eyes to bring an
object into sharp focus)
No Special Vision Requirements
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Wet, humid conditions (non- weather)Up to 1/3
- Work near moving mechanical parts Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Work in high, precarious places Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Fumes or airborne particles None
- Toxic or caustic chemicals None
Outdoor weather conditions Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Extreme cold (non-weather) None
- Extreme Heat (non-weather) None
- Risk of electrical shock Up to 1/3 (Occasionally)
- Work with explosives None
- Risk of radiation None
- Vibration None
While performing this job, the noise level in the work
environment is : Moderate Noise (Examples: business office with
typewriters, and or computer printer, light traffic)