Senior Strategist - FREELANCE
Posted on: January 16, 2022
A wise CSO once pointed out that on paper most strategy jobs look
pretty much the same. The difference is how practiced we are at the
tasks in front of us, and how well we 'manage' projects and people.
As a Senior Strategist, you are at an inflection point in your
growththe transition from supporting to leading. For that reason,
this may be one of the more tricky levels to navigate, yet it is
critical to your development. This is the point when you must
establish your own point of view, build more senior-facing
relationships, and carve out a leadership role for
yourself...because trust and responsibility won't be given to you
based on title alone, you must earn it.
This is what the job entails, versus what the job requires, which
is listed below under Competencies.
- Lead strategy on -2 pieces of business with minimal
supervision, owning the strategy from beginning to end, including
managing briefing, research, strategic insight, and persuasive
communications with clients and internal teams.
- Identify what's missing and what's needed in terms of data and
insights, then lay out a plan to get what we need, drawing on your
experience with various research methodologies and information
- Be seen as the go-to for information on the consumer, the
culture in which they live, the company, and the category in which
- Champion the work, from conception to sell-through to
measurement and optimization
- Provide creative feedback that respects the creatives'
process/judgement, while making the work more strategically
- Earn the respect/trust of your creative/account counterparts to
lead the business, together
- Earn the respect and trust of clients at all levels as someone
who is passionate about their business, their brand, their
audience, and invested in their success
- Guide clients, alongside account partners, to clearly align on
the challenge at hand
- Solve problems and 'manage up' to the Directors of Strategy and
CSO on any important issues before they become larger problems
- Work with data strategy (and media analytics when appropriate)
to develop and shepherd a measurement plan for any given campaign
- You will not always be the one with the right answer. Listen
well and respect the views of your partners; learn to synthesize
what everyone's saying into a clear and cohesive path forward
- Manage younger strategists and/or interns through the
fundamentals of research, trend analysis and development of simple
- Be an example for junior strategists of how Strategy can help
McKinney create better, more influential work
Regarding leadership, don't rush to prove yourself, take your time
to build these skills and relationships wellyou've done it right
when your team looks first to you, not your manager, for strategic
input and perspective. For that reason, you can't be an effective
leader without being a great partner.
Now that you know what the role entails, here's what you need to be
able to do to thrive in it.
- Research Planning. Has familiarity with various research
sources and methodologies to help design an approach to answer
defined research objectives
- Brief Writing and Storytelling. Can point to examples of
persuasive narrative and presentation skillsmaking a logical yet
inspiring case for our strategic POV
- Creative Perspective. Has a creative point of view and the
ability to evaluate work, make lateral connections between ideas,
and provide pointed direction to make the creative better. Also
able to lead and contribute meaningfully to brainstorming
- Interpersonal Savvy. Demonstrates high EQ and the ability to
relate to all kinds of peopleon the team and off, inside the agency
and outworking with cross-functional team members to excel at the
- Growth Orientation. Shows eagerness to learn from
experiencesboth wins and lossesand can speak to examples of how
s/he has taken learnings from one experience into the next
- Perseverance. Shows winning enthusiasm and drive.
5-7 years of strategy work at a creative agency; some experience
with at least one other strategy disciplinedata, comms, digital
and/or social strategyis a must.
Education & Training
Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other advanced degree a plusby
Keywords: Mckinney, Winston-Salem , Senior Strategist - FREELANCE, Other , Advance, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!