Safety Specialist I
Company: Wayne Farms
Posted on: March 18, 2023
PRIMARY FUNCTION:Primarily responsible for assisting with
leading the Safety, Health and Environmental function. Will also
inspect equipment ensuring safety of employees; create safety
policies for workers to prevent injuries, burns or illnesses;
conduct training sessions on topics such as emergency preparedness
or proper lifting procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Manage medical and worker's comp, DOT, and PSM activities.
- Work with Safety Manager to revise and update safety programs
ensuring compliant, safe and incident-free work environment.
- Develop and conduct training and safety meetings.
- Work to assure regulatory documentation is complete and
- Assist with management of Contractor Safety Program.
- Facilitate behavior based safety program.
- Manage the Safety Department in absence of Safety Manger.
- Communicate with medical, legal and insurance personnel.
- Perform ergonomic assessments and recommend improvements.
- Promote organizational safety and continuous environmental
improvement by working with all departments to analyze current
situation and recommend safety and environmental improvements.
- Communicates and celebrates successes to maintain and foster
company-wide commitment to safety and continuous improvement; and
provide recommendations for corrective direction when HSE programs
deviate from strategic plans and objectives.
- Formulate, maintain and execute emergency plans and responds to
safety and employee emergencies.
- Ensure all significant near misses, injuries, and safety events
are investigated, abatement measures implemented and root causes
- Oversee health and safety, environmental, and DOT audits of all
the organizations facilities and recommends preventative
- Assist with accident investigations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.SUPERVISORY
- None. This is an individual contributor position. Competencies
required: Functional/Technical Skills, Action Oriented, Problem
Solving, Learning on the Fly and Interpersonal Savvy.MINIMUM
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree in occupational health, safety, engineering,
biology or relevant discipline.
- 3 years' experience in a similar safety environment.PREFERRED
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bilingual - English/Spanish proficiency.
- Familiarity with OSHA standards.REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Strong communication, teamwork, analysis, judgment and customer
- Ability to analyze accident data, new processes, and machinery
for potential safety concerns and conduct job hazard and job safety
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in matters involving
security and/or personnel issues.
- Experience with OSHA regulations.
- Experience in Worker's Compensation.
- Intermediate computer skills and Microsoft Excel, Word and
- Ability to read, speak and write in the English language.
- Ability to handle and resolve most issues independently.
- Appropriately operate with frequent access to confidential
- High work capacity, dependable, results oriented and strong
sense of urgency.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff within the
- Direct and empathetic communication style.
- Highly effective written/verbal and interpersonal communication
skills sufficient to communicate and interact effectively with
internal and external customers.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with multiple
- Excellent organizational skills, with precise attention to
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook, Excel,
PowerPoint and Word.
- Demonstrated sound work ethic, honesty and moral
character.REQUIRED PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:
- Understand and interpret data while drawing logical conclusions
based on available inputs.
- Critical thinking skills in standardized situations as well as
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and
prioritize work accordingly.SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
- Follows Standard Operating Procedures and adheres to safety
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Frequent walking within plant environment.
- Frequently stoops, kneels, and crawls.
- Occasionally lifts up to 40 lbs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: Wayne Farms, Winston-Salem , Safety Specialist I, Other , Dobson, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...